We’ll Help You Stay in the Game!
Back to Blog
Life is a contact sport – and as temps rise outside, so do the number of activity-related injuries we see in both Urgent and Primary Care. From weekend warriors to young athletes, during the warmer months, we treat significantly more lacerations, pulled muscles, sprains, strains, and joint injuries. If you are looking forward to being more active in the coming months, here are a few tips to help you stay healthy:
- First and foremost, get a sports physical or consult your primary care provider to make sure you are healthy enough and physically capable for the activity.
- Select a safe location and structure the activity with the first 10-15 minutes including stretching and an active warm-up and the last 10-15 minutes including an active cool-down and stretching.
- Listen to your body and rest when you need to or are injured.
Even the best-laid plans can’t prevent every injury. If you do get hurt, answer these questions to assess it:
- Did you hear a crack or feel a pop?
- Is the area misshapen?
- Is there bleeding?
- Is there a wound present?
- Does it hurt to move the area?
- Does it hurt to put weight on it?
If the answer to any of these is yes or if you are unsure, it’s time to get evaluated by an Exemplar Care Provider. The sooner it is assessed and treated, the better … and that is why we are open 24/7!